Sunday, May 15, 2005

In search for God..

I just finished reading the book "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. The book is quite good, it being well-researched and all. The book circled on the issue on science and its implications towards faith, a topic which always get me started.

Science has been considered by many as the enemy of religion. This premise has been solidified through time -- each progress of science compositely refute stronger the foundations upon which faith was built in. But in this, some people claim that science is not an enemy of religion but only a purifier of it. But this brings up a question of whether truth is a necessity of faith, since what is being questioned is not the validity of one's beliefs but the adherence of one's action to what he believes in.

Is it no longer important to ask whether Jesus really died for the salvation of man or was he just an eccentric figure made famous through the perceived inspiration by his followers? Is it really no longer important to ask if God is a being akin to us, since we are created in his image? Do we only have to live believing that there is a God, without understanding his nature?

I was a strong believer (or to honestly put, strongly wanted to believe) in God's existence. But I have become an agnostic due to the many inconsistencies that make my belief an ironic fallacy.

I can't believe there is a God who loves, and cares..but turns a blind eye to unborn fetuses, famished children, and the aged. And I can't believe in a God of truth, but disallows the very basic faculty into which truth is acheived. And I can't believe in a God of justice, but punishes those whose only fault was being born in a different place, far from the reach of the messengers of his Gospel.

Science and rationalization points that God could most probably be a just a concept. An idea concocted by man to fill in his misunderstanding and ignorance of his world. God is a convenient explanation to some thing one does not understand, perhaps because man being a rational creature could not accept the idea of chaos and irrationality of the universe.

But then going back..does it really matter if God exist? Does it make a difference if the world revolve around the sun when everyone thinks the universe revolve around the earth? Is truth less important than belief?

I am an unbeliever of the God that most people preach today...maybe there is a God..different from what most understood..and maybe meant to never be in touch with our own mundane lives....maybe God exists..or does not..but does it matter?

Maybe for many it does not..but it matters everything to me..

1 comment:

x10 said...

Hey there,

If you seek, you will find. I myself have a thousand reasons not to believe in the existence of God, but when He comes to your life and speaks to you... you just know that He's real...

But you have to experience it for yourself. I guess your tired of hearing about His love for you and that He sent His Son to die for you and all... Sounds like a cliche but it's true.. Don't take me at my word, I'm just another mortal like you... searching and somehow still overwhelmed by all my inadequacies... yet Christ is sufficient... And yes, following Him is not easy, but life without Him is totally worthless... Again, don't take me at my word, see for yourself.

Here are some books you may wanna check out:
The Case for Christ (Lee Strobel)
The Case for Faith (Lee Strobel)
The Bible (maybe you can read this as a reference book this time) :)

This Ravi Zacharias apologetics site:
http://www.rzim.org/

In this first step of searching... God is pleased. :) Enlightenment is just a step away my friend. :)