Monday, November 13, 2017

Do you believe in life after life?

I remember this conversation I've had with a friend years back, where the topic started with programming but ended up a little bit philosophical.
In it he basically commented that most discussions focus on the afterlife, and not so much before life.
And he said that if you were just fine before it (fine on being non-existent for example), there's no reason to be not fine after it.

I am always amazed by this insight whenever I remember this discussion.

Maybe the reason we are so concerned of the after life is that now that we have awakened from nothingness we can no longer bear the idea of being non-existent.  I think that is quite understandable, this desire to be living forever.

What is unfortunate however, is that this desire, this unfeasible want leads to people being manipulated into beliefs which would otherwise be obviously unrealistic and childish.

No comments: